Monday, August 25, 2008

Go Hefe Yourself!

Last Sunday (8/16/08) I brewed 5 gallons of Hefeweizen, Bavarian that is...horrible parody, I know. Anyway, I brewed this beer and everything went pretty normal, by normal I mean I screw up one thing! Although, this screw up is a half full, actually one extra gallon of beer, which means it won't be as strong, but I will have a little extra! I ended up with 6 gallons, I got 70% eff, so good enough for me!

The recipe goes something like this...

5.5 lbs Weyermann Pale Wheat
4 lbs Durst Pilsen

1 oz Sterling Hops (60 minute)

I used White Labs Hefe Yeast.

OG - 1.035
FG - 1.007

This ferment was FAST, like done in 2-3 days. I was a little nervous that it was stuck, but it came out nice!

Here is a picture of it transferred to secondary...



















So, this is what's leftover, I moved most of her right into the keg. I like my hefe's like I like my girls, legal, but young! I also really love the White labs Hefe yeast, I have used the Wyeast and it never turns out as well as the White Labs, just my opinion.

I do expect this beer to be drank next weekend, so if you are in the greater milwaukee area, find me and my beer!!

7 comments:

Bri said...

I will be in the Milwaukee area and will hunt you down and drink your beer.

Also, nice growler, where'd you get it? I'm thinking of getting a couple and take 20% off of each batch for reserve / walkabout.

Matt Andrews said...

I think I bought it at a homebrew store along the way. I believe I bought it to make starters for 10 gallon batches... I may have done it once or twice, I get lazy about making starters...

Which reminds me, I need to pitch that champ yeast! Shit

I did draw 2 pints off of the 3 hearted ale and got 2 full glasses!!! Not as empty as I thought!!

richt said...

You should be able to get a growler at any brewpub too. You should take a trip to Madison and go to the Ale Asylum - awesome beers and only an hour away from you. The ones I had were around 10 bucks I think, but you can keep taking them back to the brewpub. I've got one from Fitger's in Duluth that is actually a squarish clear Nalgene bottle, perfect on the way to the Superior Trail or the Boundary Waters.

richt said...

Oh, sorry, now I see that's a one gallon. Brewpubs sell half gallon growlers. I'm drunk.

Matt Andrews said...

Haha!! Nothing wrong with that!! I just sampled the hefe and it's very tasty and just what I was expecting, needs a little more carbonation and it should be good to go!!!

Bri said...

Hey, your Hefe tasted great. You should bring it to work.

Unknown said...

I just saw a pic of your homebrew in "the boot" and it brought back some good memories of Sterling... I need a boot!