Monday, May 19, 2008

In Russia beer brews you

No russian beer, just not so great brew day.

I brewed a Denny's Rye IPA on Saturday. I had a free weekend and saw everyone raving about this beer. So it's an IPA, and people like it, so I said what the hell, let's do it. I had got a great deal on some 2-row malt. 66$ for 100 lbs of base malt. When the guy across town is $50 for 50 lbs, it was a no brainer. It was a last minute brew, so I didn't really have as much setup time as I normally do. I didn't think much of it, well it turn to be a knarly brew day. Saturday morning I woke up and still groggy, pick up the first yeast packet, locate the pouch for smacking and smacked! The problem, I smacked a little too hard, because I ended up wearing the insides of the yeast packet. Well, I needed to go to the homebrew store for 3 more pounds of rye malt and another yeast packed. I had the dude at the homebrew store smack it for me. I didn't want to take any chances this time. Some of the other highlights was not finding what I wanted at home not so depot, a nice boilover, pitching yeast into way too hot of wort before I realized I hadn't slowed the flow of wort down so it could chill better and killing both of my cordless drill batteries while milling malt. I did dig out the corded, I just didn't want to, I like wireless in my life. Having a very manual system, I have decided to design a brew stand. It will be mainly out of wood and a single tier system. I have 2 pumps, so no need for gravity. I will need some better connections, I use garden hose quick disconnects and they tend to leak very easily. Probably because they are meant for garden hoses, well duh! I want to have everything mounting on the stand, that way I am not running around setting up each task while the task at hand is going on. Basically I want to be able to stand around and drink more and dick with my setup less. More importantly, lift hot vessels of fluid into the air, or have my friends life hot vessels of fluid in the air, thanks to Mike and Brian.

I know my recipe is not exactly what is listed for Denny's Rye IPA, but I went to the local shop and got what was close. It is something like this
Denny's Rye IPA (10 gallon)
22 lbs 2-row malt
6.5lbs rye malt
2.5lbs crystal malt
1 lbs cara pils
1 lbs flaked wheat

The hops is where the main differences happened. I had to patch this together, instead of Mt Hood, I got Hallertauer and I got some Columbus, but the homebrew shop didn't have enough, so I also got centennial.

The hops schedule, looks something like this
First wort - 2 oz Hallertauer
60 minute - 1 oz Columbus
60 minute - 1 oz Centennial
30 minute - 1 oz Hallertauer
1 minute - 3 oz Hallertauer
Dry Hop - 1 oz Columbus
Dry Hop - 1 oz Centennial

I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale

I hit a OG of 1.075, promash said it should have been up at 1.083. I didn't have time to make a starter, so I'm pleased it wasn't that high. I'm a little worried as it is, it's in my nature to worry. I know this was all put together rather quickly but I should relax and have a homebrew and know that I will get a product that should taste ok and get me drunk! haha!!

I used a new weapon in the aeration of the wort. I bought it from Norther Brewer and it attaches to a drill and spins. I am pleased with the ease compared to the injecting O2 into the wort. I had active fermentation the next morning in half the batch (it was the half that wasn't too warm) and so Sunday I worried about the other half. I frantically called every closed homebrew shop on sunday in the greater Milwaukee area and Brian to try and locate some dry yeast packets. I failed, no dry yeast for this kid, turns out I didn't need it. Sunday evening I had signs of active fermentation and Monday morning I had even more moving! So she was just a little slower going. I'm still cautious about the high temps and if it will affect the beer in the long run. The wort was in the 90's when I pitched. I immediately got it into an ice bath for a half hour and then left her in the basement to cool.





























That's one full mash tun!!















You can see the time difference with the color.


Hops
Hops are doing pretty good, I still have one rhizome that is not popping out of the ground. I'm in no hurry, I'll just wait it out. The one cascade is about 5" out of the ground with some other bines racing for the top. The Centennial is doing ok in the pot, I think I need to get her in the ground in the next week or two. Here are some pictures.















Cascade















Centennial


8 comments:

Bri said...

i have hop growth envy. it's cool to see they have different leaves.

im excited to see the stand design. you should post some iso views.

are you going to mount the grain grinder to your stand or keep it separate?

is it going to be function only, or are you going to make it a masterpiece?

Matt Andrews said...

I'm shocked at how different the hops did grow. I don't know if it's because of the different environments, but they are growing! Now I just wish that third one would pop up!

I have a little more time to put in the stand before I reveal to the public for review. I will not have the malt mill on there, it will be a separate structure. It's going to be mainly function, but I will add some additions to make it a little bit better. The main thing is to get everything mounted and plumbed together. That is my biggest hindrance right now is running around setting everything up. It drives me nuts. Plus, with a brew stand, I can put some casters on her and wheel her outside to get some nice weather brewing in or inside for some rainy day ales.

richt said...

The brew structure sounds cool. Keep us posted on the progress. The Rye looks tasty. That's going to be a hoppy monster - 10 ounces! How many IBUs did you figure?

Last I heard, my hops haven't popped up yet, but I'm going to plant the rest of the garden today so maybe I'll gently dig around and see what's going on inside the mound. Hopefully something!

PS, is it cool if I link to your blog from mine? Having to just click one button will be sooooo much easier for me than the 3 clicks it now takes to go through my favorites.

Matt Andrews said...

Link away, I threw yours on mine, guess I should have asked first. I think 3 people read this blog...

IBUs, promash put it at 70 IBUs, so I can't wait to try this mother! I remember the guy at the brew store giving me a 10oz discount! I kind of laughed when he said that. Considering some homebrew shops will only let you buy 3 oz of hops at a time, I will be going back to this guy.

I'm pretty excited about the rye, it fermented really well, or so it seems. I had active fermentation for 4-5 days and I usually only get it for 3-4. I did mash at a lower temp 151-152 and I hear that will ferment out more giving you a dryer beer. This will bring out more of the rye taste supposedly. There is only one way to find out!! Wait and drink it. I hate waiting! But I have a nice two hearted ale to drink in the meantime.

Unknown said...

I'll update you on my stuff... Still mean to blog about my beer too since I'm brewing almost every weekend. I did an experimental "summer ale" this past weekend (16 lbs. american 2-row, 2 lb. wheat with lemon zest and grains of paradise). It is going to be similar to Samuel Adams Summer Ale and is meant to be overly simplistic as I learn more.

I kegged my Stone IPA clone, and while it does not taste exactly like Stone, it is one of the best beers I've done so far.

My hops are growing like crazy. Both have shot off tendrils and are wrapping themselves all over the trellis. I will try to acquire a camera to get pictures of these.

Bri said...

I should be assembling 2 kegs this weekend after cleaning them this week. My SN pale ale is ready for kegging. So I'll have 3 on tap for the first time this weekend.

Bourbon Barrel Brown is next on the list. The oak chips will be steamed and soaked also this weekend in preparation for brew day2 or 3 weeks from now. So in about 2 months i should have 4 on tap.

Any progress on the stand?

Bri said...

I'm in the middle of taste testing my version of a belgium dubble to rochefort 8. First and foremost the version I made is not an attempt at rochefort 8's recipe.

HEAD, similar initial volume and bubble size, however rochefort's retension was much longer.

COLOR, similar hue, rochefort's is just a bit darker. More light passes thru mine than the rochefort.

AROMA, rochefort's is much more pungent and complex.

TASTE, rochefort's has a fuller body, roughly the same bitterness as mine.

OVERALL, mine resembles a belgian dubble, but i would consider it a "light" version. 5 gallons of dubble light is just fine with me.

Matt Andrews said...

Stone beers are a delicacy around here, because they don't distribute in this area. They make some intense beers! Good to hear you are brewing that much!! You'll have to send me some bottles sometime! We could do a swap! I am looking for an excuse to buy a counter flow bottle filler.

Bri, good to hear about the dubbel. rochefort 8 is one hell of a beer to compare to! I can't wait to try the dubbel though. I need to brew a Belgian beer, I think I want to do a tripel or a saison.