Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Growing Your Own

So now that I have some free land, well not free, but mine, well not mine, but the banks. I choose to buy some hops rhizomes and plant them up! I originally bought 2 Centennial hop rhizomes and when I them there was still snow on the ground, so I planted them in pots. I then decided to buy 2 more Cascade rhizomes. I bought the Centennial rhizomes from Norther Brewer and I bought the Cascade rhizomes from www.freshops.com Both came in really fresh and looking really good!
Here is some pictures of the "hop garden"

All loosened up














Weed tarp














Cedar Mulch, a little much, but hey it looks and smells good...














The 2 Cascade rhizomes














The two Centennial rhizomes in the pot. One on these has not sprouted yet. I noticed it one day that it had migrated to the top of the dirt. I dug it up and it had roots, so I put it back in the pot and I will have my fingers crossed on that one.














Getting some sprouts!!














A little bit closer and more blurry.













I will post more pictures as they grow! Supposedly they grow fast! I've heard in their prime they can grow up to a foot a day! That would be cool to see!

I used mostly the dirt that was in the ground, I bought a bag of compost manure to put in the hole. I read somewhere to do this. So we will see how well it works!

For the Three Hearted Ale, it's still in secondary being dry hopped, although the hops are wet...
I plan on kegging that beer sometime this week. I howerever think it won't happen until next week. Oh well.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome. I have 4 different hops planted in my backyard as well. I think many homebrewers did that this year thanks to the hops shortage. I need to get a camera so I can take pictures of stuff.

Bri said...

I've got 2 cascade in large pots right now. I haven't seen any sprout yet. Once I'm done clearing out some concrete and bring in decent dirt I'll be planting them permanently. I'll likely run them up 2x2 boards 6 to 8 feet then hang from strings that run over to the garage so they can grow 20 feet long. I can't wait to use homegrown hops. Also, can't wait for the smell of hops to slap me in the face when hanging out in the back yard.

Matt Andrews said...

I think the hops smell in the back yard is going to give me a raging....desire to drink beer!

The hops shortage sucks! I cannot brew one of my favorite recipes because of it.

Bri said...

what we should have done is ordered different hops and swap harvest goodies.

Matt Andrews said...

That would have been cool! I bet freshops.com has more...Do you have more room for more hops plants? I would have to pack them in, it depends on if one of them coems to life or stays dead.

richt said...

That would have been a good idea Bri. I'd be interested in planting more next season, definitely Magnum, and doing some trading. I just checked Freshops and they do have a bunch of varieties left. If I had more space right now I'd plant, but I'm out of space for now. Are you guys trimming down to a few bines per plant or letting them run wild this season?

Matt Andrews said...

I'm planning on trimming back to the 2 strongest shoots

Bri said...

3 of my 4 plants are now goners. I found one laying on the surface like a dead bloated carp yesterday. The good news is that the one remaining has now sprouted out of the ground. So now i have to be more protective of this one. I may put some chicken wire over it or something similar. The other one appeared to be dug up. But i don't have a web cam on my plants, so I wouldn't know if or what did it.

I transfered the belgian dubble from secondary to keg today. I brewed that on 3/22. sg is at 1.12 and balling is down to 3. So I think I will have a go at it in a week. It will be a good beer to have after finishing school this week. I also transfered Sierra Nevada PA to secondary and dry hopped with Argentina Cascade. I was a dumb ass and kept the hop bag out on my desk for the last 10 days. So the aroma wasn't as strong and also had changed. I was going to make a tea bag for the hops to go in, but I just decided to dump 'em in.

I shook the keg of coffee stout and it feels like about a six pack is left. So wanting to know more precisely how much beer is left, i'm going to weigh the kegs from full to empty and do some conversion to glass fulls of beer. So today I got a full keg measurement of 46lb. Unfortunately I thought of doing this after I filled it so I have to wait to get an empty keg weight unless someone can do a quick measure of that. Or I could likely find it on the interweb. Or I could relax and have a homebrew.

Matt Andrews said...

I vote interweb! Looking stuff up rocks! I am in Illinois and am no where near a corny keg.

I'm glad we got at least one plant to take root! That will be the plant that changes the world! If it can survive the Brian yard, it can survive anything! hehe! Just kidding Brian!

I can't wait to try some of that dubbel! Dubbel trubbel.

I hope it's raining up there, my hops, they need water! So far I've been able to feed them pure rain water but now my bucket system has run dry. Might have to start watering them with crappy city water.